With the holidays just ended we don't have a lot to update right now. We know many of you were interested in the recipes to some of the wonderful breakfast dishes our Membership & Involvement Committee has served. Here are a couple of them, Hot Baked Curried Fruit and Cheesy Vegetable Egg Dish:
HOT BAKED CURRIED FRUIT
Ingredients: (we used sliced fruit; oranges instead of apricots)
30 ounces canned pineapple chunks, drained
15 ounces canned pear halves, drained
15 ounces canned peach halves, drained
15 ounces canned apricot halves, drained
10 ounces maraschino cherries, drained
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder (recommend: McCormick brand)
4 tablespoons butter melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Allow all the fruits to drain very well in a colander.
3. Layer the fruits in a 9x13 baking dish.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, curry powder and
butter. Heat until the butter and sugar are completely melted.
5. Pour over fruit and mix lightly taking care not to break the fruit.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
CHEESY VEGETABLE EGG DISH
Ingredients: (no mushrooms this time, we replaced it with 3 varieties of peppers)
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups 4% cottage cheese
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. In a large skillet, sauté the zucchini, onion, mushrooms, and green pepper in butter
until tender. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt until blended.
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs and cottage cheese. Stir in vegetables and Monterey
3. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes
or until a thermometer reads 160°.